Sunday 16 August 2015

Pause, Progress & Ludum Dare

This week has been better and I've finally made progress in a few key areas. Firstly I finally have pause functionality working; there is an actual freaking pause menu now (I've wanted to be able to write that for ages now) and I've began work with a new music editing software that I'm using to make some simple music to throw into Revolver. On top of that I should be able to use it to make some much nicer sound effects, either that or I'll nip back to bfxr and make some there, I dunno yet.

For those interested the software is called BoscaCeoil and is super simple to use, which is pretty much the main reason I'm using it. It involves making short riffs and then placing those riffs into a timeline. You have access to a decent library of midi instruments and a small variety of other stuff like chiptune sounds and the like. Now the reason I've suddenly decided to find some music software however...

I'm taking part in the next Ludum Dare! For anyone that doesn't know Ludum Dare is a sort of challenge to develop a game within 72 hours set to a specific theme which is only revealed at the start. There is also a competition aspect with harder rules and a shorter time limit (48 hours) but as it is my first attempt, bugger that. It's now its 33rd run and has actually been going on for over 12 years now, which makes it the longest running game jam. Needless to say I'm pretty excited and I'm making sure that I have all the tools I need ready (hence the look into music software) for the 21st when it begins. Wish me luck!

Finally I just realised that I forgot to post the finished version of the pixel art thing I did. Here it be:

DECAYING PLANET:


Pretty glad how it turned out. Mostly it was just an exercise in using GIMP but still, I think it looks pretty neat.

-Beau

No comments:

Post a Comment