Monday 12 January 2015

Learning Game Maker

Although I wasn't really planning on it I started learning how to use game maker this week. Tom Francis, the creator of Gunpoint and Heat Signature decided to begin an online tutorial for complete beginners. Which I am. Honestly this is one of the best tutorials for learning anything I've come across. It's enjoyable and while Tom keeps it simple it is never patronising. I really recommend this to anyone who wants to make video games. It's pretty new and I can't wait to see where this goes. Here is the link to the playlist: www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLUtKzyIe0aB2HjpmBhnsHpK7ig0z7ohWw

In other news I've began writing more again and am making good progress. I've returned to world building again working on a particularly interest aspect that I'll reveal, and talk about, in a week or two. Other than that I've made progress in university and I'm having a proper go at learning drawing using the book Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain. I'll be talking about that at some point to. Probably.

If you like weird as a central theme and enjoy (for use of a better word) a story that's mostly upsetting. You'll probably like LISA. Honestly giving specifics about this game is something that could ruin the experience as a whole so I'll just talk about the mechanics and main themes of the game and let you make your own mind up about it.

In this game you play as Brad. Martial artist, badass and arsehole. An addict to a drug called Joy that he uses to suppress dark memories, he is an incredibly interesting character and I love the fact that there is a mechanic around his addiction. There is a point in the game I have reached (it's actually quite early) which takes a lot of the sympathy you might have for this guy and throws it out of the window. All his addiction and bad attitude suddenly comes to a head in an interesting scene. It's the one with Rick and the wooden pylon, for anyone who has played it.

As well as Brad you get to have a huge cast of weirdos each with unique and interesting skills/personalities that help paint how crap the world is. As I said this game is a real downer. I mainly stick with the same several guys but the amount of variety you can get is really cool. Theme wise this game is mostly about sacrifice with a common element being a dilemma. Often you'll have a choice between having a party member killed (permanently) or losing something else. At the moment my version of Brad only has one arm. My favourite bit about this mechanic (which is really great story wise) is that it actually has an effect on gameplay. It's not just moral for the player but making a moral choice could actually make the game much harder as it has in my case. It is really interesting stuff.

The music in this game. Oh god is it fucking fantastic. It's weird all the way through but each song is different, interesting to listen to and some are downright badass or incredibly emotional. Here is an example of one of my favourites:

That drum bit is hilarious.

All in all this game is one that is certainly worth a try if like the weird or insane, or if you just want a story that is as heartbreaking as it is awesome.

-Beau

twitter.com/Bocodillo

No comments:

Post a Comment