Sunday 1 March 2015

Art, Collision Detection and Introspective Thought

A quick follow up from last week I've decided to get someone I know to draw some art for me. They are doing me a huge favour and I will be sure as hell posting what's drawn when it's finished so you've got that to look forward to. What's being worked on specifically are drawings of up to five different creatures and races that I've created. If you want some examples of past work (because some of it is pretty damn fantastic) go here: www.facebook.com/majorgubbins or here: wouwouandthewormling.blogspot.co.uk/.

This week I've finally got both collision detection and a trait system to work in Revolver. Oh but the path-finding is still REALLY broken and I still have no idea why. On the collision detection front I've realised a great lesson for my future developments and maybe yours too.

"Avoid collisions where everything doesn't die because it's a lot harder to work out where something might be a few frames later than it is to just delete the hell out of it."

I think all my future games might just have everything explodes whatever happens, some sort of game where the rooms are made of detonators, all the items are detonators and the player is a detonator. The more things are destroyed the easier it seems to program. Alternatively I'll just copy and edit my already written code because why the hell wouldn't I? Joking aside I'm glad I've learnt something which seems very important in games programming and at this stage accumulating knowledge is vital & fun.

On a more personal note I've recently been taking a lot more time thinking about myself and where I stand on things like political issues, philosophies and the like. It's something that I'm actually incredibly good at and I'd really recommend it to everyone. I'm now able to plan around my weaknesses (I'm a fantastic planner) and utilise my strengths much better than before and it really shows in my work. If anyone reading this is a creative type or just wants to try boosting their productivity find an hour or so you've got spare and just think about the things you like and more importantly WHY you like them. Do the same for the things you dislike and by the end I assure you, you'll know more about yourself than before. At the very least you might find it an interesting experience. I know I did, but I'm wired up a little weird.¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

-Beau


twitter.com/Bocodillo

No comments:

Post a Comment