Sunday 15 March 2015

Magic, Religion & Some Progress For Once

So I'm finally making progress again, doing a bit of work here and there, getting better throughout the whole process and I owe it all to keep a dev log of sorts. Finally I thought about keeping actual track of what work I'm getting up to rather than vaguely guessing at the end of the week and forcing myself (although it's not that hard really) to at least try to get something done each day, even when I'm not feeling up to it.

So firstly I've finally got Revolvers path-finding somewhat working again. Mechanically it works, all I need to do now is have it follow the player as they move (which I believe is updating a variable or two) and I'll finally be able to work on the other aspects of Revolver I've been wanting too. Such as the art, an improved lighting system, more enemies and different characters with different skills. Most of the code for a lot of these is in place but to work out what to do next I need to get my game tested. Of course you can't test a game where the path-finding just doesn't work hence the delays on this game. That said I did vastly improve the gun mechanics adding a cock-back to the gun making it less rapid fire without practise. Honestly this makes the game a lot more fun and was reasonably simple to make just throwing around a "is gun cocked" boolean that changes when the player right-clicks.

I also started messing around creating another, much simpler, game. At the moment I'm just using this game to mess around with stuff in Game Maker that I'm not covering in Revolver. I've been working on mouse based movement controls and having objects orbiting other objects which, when combined is actually a lot of fun to play with.

Next I've been continually working on my timeline and have completed another era for a different race, which has actually been a lot of fun. It's very interesting to me, coming up with different ways that a civilisation might "find its feet" and become prosperous. Inventing creatures and resources that said races can use to bolster their economy, military or magical ability is really cool and I'll share a few things when I've cemented down the ideas some more.

Finally I've gone back to one of the first things I wrote and patched it up to fit with the new lore I've been creating for the past year or so since I originally created it. The work in question is called: Prof. Armitage's Lecture Scripts and is a pretty neat idea I came up with to explain magic. I'm a scientific person by nature (I analyse things a lot and enjoy learning stuff) so writing magic more as a science is a good way for me to express how magic works and I think an interesting take on magic. These "lecture scripts" are written by Armitage himself during the fifth era and are essentially notes or sum ups of lecture he presented during his time at the New Atzcania university where he taught on several different magic courses.

Overall I've decided to treat magic as more of a science, so while in early eras people believe it is a power granted by the Gods or other powerful being, in later eras it is actually studied like a science. I personally find this to be an interesting route for magic to go down as it follows a lot of real world examples of unexplainable phenomenon. It's been common in Earths past that when an unexplainable event occurs that superstition is often used to explain said event when, many years, decades or even centuries later, the event can be explained with the awesome power of SCIENCE. That said in the world I'm creating religion still plays a hugely important part when it comes to magic. Religious influence did affect the development of magic in a lot of positive ways but in later eras magic and religion are deemed very separate by many, but not all, races.

Anyway there's a little titbit about what I'm doing with magic which I hope you enjoyed, I'm off back home now for Mother's Day.

-Beau

twitter.com/Bocodillo

No comments:

Post a Comment