Sunday 8 February 2015

My Second Game, Kinda.

As stated last week I started work on a game I'm currently calling Revolver. Starting with the idea of tension and only having six bullets I've expanded it into a little wave survival game which, while still in progress, is quickly expanding into a fun little game. At the moment a perk system is being built which is going to be the crux around which the game is being built. Picking the right perks at the right times is going to be how a good player survives. Hopefully. The game is going to be intentionally too hard to begin with but as the player continues on and gets these perks, among other bonuses maybe, the player is going to be on a more even footing with the eldritch abominations that they are going to deal with.

I'm actually making this because I want to try to make a new game which builds upon what I already know but forces me to learn new skills which a should be translatable to other development environments. So far I've been working on A* pathfinding and I'm soon going to be making a proper lighting system rather than what I've currently done. At the moment I'm essentially holding up a piece of black card in front of the players view and cutting out the part where the flash-light is.


As you can see it looks a bit barren, and the enemies look downright stupid but it's a start and in testing I have managed to terrify my friends a little so it's a good start too.

But all this aside why should you give a crap? Well, the way things are going this game will be out before I'm done with this semester of uni (probably much earlier honestly but I hate forcing arbitrary deadline upon myself) and I'll be posting it all over the place, uploading it to as many sites as will let me and making this into an official first game. The actual first was, to me at least, a test of whether the process of making games is actually enjoyable. It is, and I really recommend you give it a try if you haven't before.


Once again I'm not going to recommend anything this week. While I have been playing a couple of new games I'd rather get into the meat of them before writing anything about them. Same goes for the TV shows I've been watching. So you've got that to look forward to I guess?

-Beau

twitter.com/Bocodillo

No comments:

Post a Comment